Friday 3 September 2010

Murakami_What I Talk About When I Talk About Writing


Hi everybody,

The following excerpt is from the book "What I talk about when I talk about running" by Haruki Murakami. I recommend you this amazing book because Mr Murakami doesn't only talk about running but about the way he writes too.

As I suspect is true of many who write for a living, as I write I think about all sorts of things. I don't necessarily write down what I'm thinking; it's just that as I write I think about things. As I write, I arrange my thoughts. And rewriting and revising takes my thinking down even deeper paths. No matter how much I write, though, I never reach a conclusion. And no matter how much I rewrite, I never reach the destination. Even after decades of writing, the same still holds true. All I do is present a few hypotheses or paraphrase the issue. Or find an analogy between the structure of the problem and something else.


This has been the fourth book written by Mr Murakami I have read. All of them are really good though  for different reasons.

The first one was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. A magic novel about love and mistery.

The second one was Norwegian Wood. The same rithm, the same music behind the words,... excellent.

Then I read a really hard essay about the terrible terrorist attack in Tokyo (The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche) . (I talked about it in a post of this blog on XXX),

And this autobiographical text has been the last one (until now).

No comments:

Post a Comment